Anna Barie hasn’t been sitting down since disbanding of her previous project, the glorious ghost-noise group These Are Powers. After relocating to Lyon, France, she’s formed the duo of Dubai. Like her former TAP bandmate Brenmar, she’s found a new sound to communicate with: one of hazy, ritualistic drones and beautiful chants.
1. Is any aspect of fame important and if yes, why’s that?
Communicating to a lot of people is a big responsibility.
2. What goes in your coffee?
3. What does underground and mainstream mean to you?
Metropolitain and Seine.
4. Better show: Buffy or X-Files?
Buffy. Because of teenage lesbians and it’s one of Johanne’s nicknames.
5. Name three essential artists.
John Cage, Michael Jackson, Stanley Kubrick.
6. Write a non-promotional paragraph.
As Henri Dès said–
There was once a tiny man who had one hair.
He wanted a part in the middle but he only had one hair.
There was once a tiny man who had one tooth.
He wanted to eat little children but he had only one tooth.
7. Your current favorite song?
Bear In Heaven’s ‘The Reflection of You’. We just played with them in Lyon and they are a super solid band with integrity and a sense of humor.
8. Do you believe in the paranormal?
Yes. Johanne’s mother is an energy healer and Anna’s mom would throw pennies at funeral processions so the dead would have money to make it to the next place.
9. Are you interested in politics?
Especially now that France has its first Black president. Just kidding, but he is a Socialist.
10. Raging or chilling out?