As good music does not know any genres, we don’t focus on electronic beats only here in the Electronic Beats editorial office. That’s why we think we have to draw your attention on this, too:
War Child is a charity supporting children affected by war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. The organisation works together with children who have been hit hardest by the joint forces of poverty, conflict and social exclusion. Beside donations they raise money by selling CDs. On February 16 the fifth War Child album called ‘War Child Heroes’ appears. It features 15 of the hottest contemporary artists in the pop music industry: Lily Allen, TV On The Radio, The Kooks, Rufus Wainwright, Franz Ferdinand just to name a few. They all covered one legendary song of their very personal heroes: Bob Dylan, The Clash, David Bowie, The Kinks, etc.
Our favourite track so far: Hot Chip’s cover of Joy Division’s ‘Transmission’. Violins, synthesizers, steeldrums, the typical Hot Chip bass and Alexis Taylor’s voice in this otherwise melancholic song will certainly put a smile upon your faces. Convince yourself on www. stereogum.com, there you get an exclusive pre-listening of the song.
1. Beck (Bob Dylan: Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat)
2. Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music: Do The Strand)
3. Lily Allen (The Clash: Straight To Hell)
4. Duffy (Paul McCartney: Live And Let Die)
5. Elbow (U2: Running To Stand Still)
6. TV On The Radio (David Bowie: Heroes)
7. Hot Chip (Joy Division: Transmission)
8. The Kooks (The Kinks: Victoria)
9. Estelle (Stevie Wonder: Superstition)
10. Rufus Wainwright (Brian Wilson: Wonderful/ Song For Children)
11. Peaches (Iggy Pop: Search And Destroy)
12. The Hold Steady (Bruce Springsteen: Atlantic City)
13. The Like (Elvis Costello: You Belong To Me)
14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker)
15. Franz Ferdinand (Blondie: Call Me)
With buying a great CD you do something good. Definitively a win-win-situation!