Kevin Blechdom is a matchmaker for unlikely aesthetic bedfellows, pairing academic computer composition with disarming pop melody and a healthy dose of banjo. In the Spring 2013 issue of Electronic Beats Magazine, she proved that even experimental musicians can go by the numbers. Take notes; there’ll be a quiz.
1 Memorable line in a film or a song:
“I need a pickle like this in bed with me every night.”
Andrea Feldman, who plays Jesse in Paul Morrissey’s Heat, says something like this while she’s jerking off this young guy through a hospital gown at the swimming pool while she’s talking to his brother. It’s not only what she says but how she says it that is so memorable.
2 decisions I regret:
– Doing things to make other people happy at the expense of my own happiness
– Doing things to make me happy at the expense of other people’s happiness
3 people that should collaborate (and why):
– Ma Rainey
– André Vida
4 things I haven’t done yet:
– Gone to jail
– Gotten a tattoo
5 things I used to believe:
– That other people could read my mind.
– That my imaginary friend was gonna tie me naked to a wooden plank and carry me across the street if I was bad.
– That getting drunk was fun.
– That I would never shave my armpits again.
– That I like music.
6 hours ago I was . . .
Drawing pictures of tape delays on a dry-erase board and explaining to college art students about how moving playback heads to different places on the tape equates to creating delay taps of different lengths of time.
7 albums, books and films that everyone should own:
– Conlon Nancarrow, Studies for Player Piano Box Set
– Dušan Makavejev, Sweet Movie
– Gregory Bateson, The Mind and Nature
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
– Terrence W. Deacon, The Symbolic Species
– Frank Henenlotter and R.A. the Rugged Man, Bad Biology (movie)
– Paul Morrissey, Heat
After 8 p.m. . . .
I fell asleep watching really bad TV.
My 9 lives . . .
Will hopefully include a one where I get rich.
I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole: