Simon Baker steps up to the plate for our latest 21 Sauces. Take a listen to perhaps his best known track below before finding out what the British based house and techno producer listens to when he is jogging, his favourite clubs and what his rather humorous ring tone is.
1. What gets you going in the morning?
Coffee and a run usually, but this week I am away snowboarding in the alps, so I am presently looking out at the mountain and that is a huge get up and go for me – hang over or not!
2. What five records would you take to a desert island?
I always struggle with this – five is nowhere near enough, but I would get by for a few days on these off the top of my head.
David Axelrod – Holy Thursday
Frankie Knuckles – Tears
Eurythmics – Here Comes The Rain Again
The Cure – Lullaby (Extended mix)
Chicago – If You Leave Me Now (This is my funeral tune. I would expect I might need this.)
3. What inspires you to create?
It’s a very hard thing to explain how I actually create music really and so it’s a pretty tough question for me to answer, but what I can say is that one of the inspirations to carry this on is partly to do with the fact I had a 9-5 office job for 10 years that I completely hated, and now I am doing something I could only ever have dreamt of many years ago. When I wake up every day I just think I am in a lucky place.
4. What book or piece of literature are you reading at the moment?
Cormac McCarthy – The Road
5. Favorite piece of literature and why?
I recently really enjoyed Shantaram after reading, I also listened to it as an audio book while training for a half marathon and it really helped get through those miles. Loved it
6. Favorite club?
Fabric London , Mint Club Leeds
7. Which historical figure inspires you or would you like to meet?
Che Guevara, Albert Einstein, Guy Fawkes. We can all go for dinner and then onto to a club.
8. List five movies that you couldn’t live without?
Life Of Brian, Inglourious Basterds, Trainspotting, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now
9. Favorite director or actor?
10. Favorite piece of architecture or building?
Eiffel Tower in Paris or Blackpool Tower in the UK. I can’t decide.
11. Favorite combination of food or recipe?
Anything hot and spicy really. I’m a huge chili freak.
12. Favorite musical genre in the last 100 years and what would you mix it with if you could?
Definitely House and techno music …… with style of course.
13. Favorite Internet site?
14. Who has had the biggest influence on you in your life?
I don’t have a stand out person or thing that has influenced me. I am influenced by too many things, events and people throughout my life.
15. What is one record you should never be seen dancing to in a club?
John Cage “4’33” (an amazing piece of……errm……. Silence?).
16. Favorite 5 music artists currently listening to?
A Mountain Of One
17. Favorite piece of art or artist and why?
Si Scott, he did the cover for my album. We were lucky to have him. An amazing contemporary artist.
18. Artist you’d most like to collaborate with?
John Cage. (I like to get my own way!)
19. One obscure band / artist you think should be more popular?
20. What’s your ringtone?
John Cage “4.33”.
21. Do you have a favourite sauce?
Chili. Hot hot hot.
Simon Baker’s new album Traces is out now on2020vision.