The Shoes are the French duo who make fluffy post 4am dance music, the likes of which have not been since the Beloved were riding high in the charts.
You may know them from when we posted this utterly amazing video to their new single ‘Stay The Same’ – an epic pairing of song and video that pulls you towards euphoria and heartbreak at the same time, leaving you trapped in the middle, tense but desperate for more.
We certainly can’t get enough so we decided to dive on in like Oliver Twist and ask for extras. This is what we got – a lovely 20 Sauces of Inspiration.
1. What gets you going in the morning?
A kiss from my girlfriend.
2. What five records would you take to a desert island?
– Japan – Tin Drum
– Reakwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
– The Cure – Faith
– King Crimson – Court of the Crimson King (Kanye West took a huge sample in it for ‘Monster’)
Serge Gainsbourg – Ballade de Melody Nelson
3. What inspires you to create?
– My friends
– Japanese food
4. What book or piece of literature are you reading at the moment?
Here There and Everywhere, My Life Recording the Music of The Beatles by Geoff Emeric and Howard Massey
5. Favourite piece of literature and why?
L’Etranger (The Stranger) by Albert Camus. Because Robert Smith did a great song about it, ‘Killing an Arab’.
6. Favourite club?
Social Club – Paris. Because it’s our second home.
7. Which historical figure inspires you or would you like to meet?
Don’t know but I’d like to meet Sarkozy to kick his ass!
8. List five movies that you couldn’t live without?
Phantom of the Paradise – Brian De Palma
Un Prophete – Jacques Audiart
La Haine – Mathieu Kassovitz
Back to the Future – Robert Zemeckis
This is England – Shane Meadows
9. Favorite director or actor?
Director – Daniel Wolfe
Actor – Johnny Harris
Because they did a video for our single “Stay The Same” feat esser… And it’s just a little piece of art.
10. Favourite piece of architecture or building?
Gaudi in Barcelona. Because it’s insane… But full of religious things. Weird.
11. Favourite combination of food or recipe?
Oyster and white wine in the morning after a big party.
12. Favourite musical genre in the last 100 years and what would you mix it with if you could?
I don’t know but I know the one genre I don’t like – math rock.
13. Who has had the biggest influence on you in your life?
14. What is one record you should never be seen dancing to in a club?
I’ve never been dancing. Never…
15. Favourite 5 music artists currently listening to?
– Das Racist
– Booba (French rapper)
– Scientist (dub)
– The Brian Jonestown Massacre (complete discography… big work)
16. Favourite piece of art or artist and why?
“La liberté guidant le peuple” by Eugene Delacroix. Because it’s fucking huge, it represents my country, represents revolution – and you can see a nipple on it.
17. Artist you’d most like to collaborate with?
18. One obscure band / artist you think should be more popular?
ALB they did a fabulous album called “Mange Disque” and they are writing an amazing new album.
19. What’s your ringtone?
The same as EVERYONE who’s got an Iphone.
20. Do you have a favourite sauce?