Bridging the gap between techno and house with his own productions, Ian Pooley was born in the city of Mainz, near Frankfurt and first came to fame with the now legendary Force Inc. imprint, giving musicians such as Alec Empire, DJ Tonka, Wolfgang Voigt, Cristian Vogel and Akufen a platform from which to emit their strange frequencies. Later he was signed to V2, releasing 2000’s Since Then alongside other full-lengths. He has a long-time residency in Barcelona’s beloved Sala Appollo and is without a doubt still one of the most booked DJs around the globe. Play his 2009′ mix for Electronic Beats and count with Ian below:
1 memorable line in a song or film:
“Hello, I am Quentin from Montargis” from Ruby & Quentin.
2 people that should collaborate:
Florian Schneider and Manuel Göttsching.
3 things I haven’t done yet:
– Sea diving
– Smoked a cigarette
– Had a facelift
4 decisions I regret:
– Selling my minimoog
– Using The name “Silvershower” as an alias for my techno releases; those “goldenshower… jokes keep on returning
– Selling my second Roland TR909
– “Let’s have one more shot…!”
5 things I used to believe:
– That yes means yes and no means no
– That fax machines would never disappear
– That people really want to own music and not only stream it
– That there would never be more than 100 record labels in house music
– That you don’t need a computer to make music
6 hours ago…
… I woke up with a hangover.
7 days I barely remember:
On a tourbus with Daft Punk in 1998.
After 8 p.m…
… Berlin is coming alive.
My 9 lives:
Music , music , music , music , music , music , music , music , dogs.
I wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole:
A box jellyfish.
Ian Pooley’s What I Do is out on Pooled Music January, 25
Published January 06, 2013.