In our new regular feature, we ask artists to delve deep into their memory banks to surface with some of the tracks that have defined their lives. For this edition, we speak with the Berlin-based, modern pop up-and-comer DENA. DENA performs at Electronic Beats Festival Zagreb this Friday, November 8th—for full details, head here. Photo: Emma Svensson
Based in Berlin since 2005, the Bulgarian-born DENA (née Denitza Todorova) has created a stir since her appearance on albums by The Whitest Boy Alive. 2013 was the year that the beatmaker and vocalist stepped out of the shadows to quite a bit of acclaim, presenting her own fresh take on R&B and electronic-influenced pop music. Her contemporary productions and wry lyrics observing rituals of modern life have been some of the funnest tracks filling our office recently, and her set at the EB Festival Zagreb is sure to be one of the highlights of the season.
1) What song makes the dancefloor go crazy?
Most difficult question ever. You never know! But for example:
2) What was the last song you bought?
3) What was the first song you ever danced to?
4) Which song would make you leave the dancefloor?
5) What song is your guilty pleasure?
I just discovered this song with a five year delay and love everything about it.
6) Which song do you play to impress someone you like?
7) Which song do you know all the lyrics to?
8) What song do you want played at your funeral?
Definitely Outkast’s “SpottieOttieDopaliscious” ~
Published November 05, 2013.