In our new regular feature, we ask artists to delve deep into their memory banks to surface with some of the tracks that have defined their lives. For the inaugural edition, we speak with the French electro-swing duo Nôze. Nôze perform at Electronic Beats Festival Budapest this Friday, October 25th—for full details, head here. Above, from left to right: Ezechiel Pailhes and Nicolas Sfintescu.
Somewhere between the Parisian party scene and the Marseilles Conservatory, Nicolas Sfintescu and Ezechiel Pailhès, aka Nôze, delight in a hybrid of electronic music and song forms. The pair have spent the last ten years perfecting this sound, retaining a sense of classicism with their modern twist, and releasing on labels like the German powerhouse Get Physical. For our Electronic Beats festival in Budapest, they perform live, to bring you their sound in its full potential. To get an idea of some of the embers that fuel their collective fires, we asked them about some of the songs that have provided the soundtrack of their lives.
1) What song sets the dancefloor off?
2) What was the last song you bought?
3) Which song do you never want to play again?
4) What was the first song you ever danced to?
5) Which song would make you leave the dancefloor ?
We don’t need to hear bad music to leave the dancefloor.
6) What song is your guilty pleasure?
See number 3
7) Which song do you play to impress someone you like?
8) What’s your favorite song to play when you’re getting intimate with someone you like?
9) Which song do you know all the lyrics to?
10) What song do you want played at your funeral?
Published October 23, 2013.