Glaswegian Numbers label and clubnight founder Jackmaster has a rep for surprising and raucous selections in his DJ sets. But did you know about his past as an Oasis obsessive and repentant dubstep hater? Here’s Jack out the box.
1 memorable line in a song:
“Ass/Titties/Ass ‘n’ Titties/Ass, Ass, Titties Titties, Ass ‘n’ Titties” – DJ Assault, “Ass ‘n’ Titties”
2 decisions I regret:
- Taking up smoking weed as a kid.
- Selling some of my record collection on Discogs.
3 sets of people that should collaborate:
- Dizzee and Wiley need to be reunited and take us back to the Sidewinder era—with Slimzee on the decks, obviously.
- Noel and Liam Gallagher. I was a huge Oasis fan as a kid. Not sorry if that’s uncool.
- Scotland vs. England. It wouldn’t exactly be a collaboration, but rather the fiercest international footballing rivalry in the world.
4 things I haven’t done yet:
- Played a whole set sober.
- Kept a plant alive for more than six months.
- Adopted a dog (probably for the best, given the plant thing).
- Learned to play piano.
5 things I used to believe:
- That dubstep was shit.
- That I was a sick goalkeeper. At school they nicknamed me The Brick Wall because I was a beast, basically. Reflexes of a cat. Now I’m just a plain liability.
- That hard work alone could get you where you want to be.
- That being backstage or in the VIP section of a party is cool.
- That drugs were bad.
6 hours ago…
I was playing football in the sweltering heat of Barcelona for Ben Pearce’s charity football event at Sonar.
7 albums everyone should own:
- Daft Punk – Homework
- Prince – Dirty Mind
- Drexciya – The Quest
- Beverly Hills Cop OST
- Ricardo Villalobos – Alcachofa
- Rustie – Glass Swords
- Oasis – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?
After 8 p.m. …
…is when I wake up. I’ve always been a nighthawk and I work far better in hours of darkness. Getting up at or before noon is an achievement for me.
My 9 lives…
…were used up many years ago spray-painting rooftops in Glasgow. I’m down to my last one for sure. Fuck it—we’re here for a good time, not a long time, right?
I would touch with a 10 foot pole:
Tight penny-pinchers, thieves, and liars.
This article originally appeared in the Fall 2014 issue ofElectronic Beats Magazine. Keep an eye out for the next edition, as it will arrive soon!