Techno is evolving, and it’s being helped by a new group of producers offering fresh new perspectives. One such artist is object blue, a DJ currently based in London whose two releases in 2018—Rex and Do You Plan To End A Siege?—were among our favorites from last year. The appeal is in her approach, which mixes the sound design of techno with the disruptive creativity of so-called “experimental club” music.
Case in point is “Act like it then”, which morphs from dry techno into hybridized ballroom thanks to a clever “Ha” imitating Cardi B sample.
That same approach is also evident on her new mix for Dekmantel, which is a mesmerizing patchwork of unusual sounds and disparate genres. Listen to it below, and scroll further for the full tracklist.
- qebrus – Crstl Cstl
- Toxe – Honey Island
- Shelley Parker – Masonry Pier
- Hiro Kone – Scotch Yoke (pt. I & II)
- Lag – Rutra
- Lima – Placebo
- M.E.S.H. – Imperial Sewers
- Renick Bell – Improvise In A Pinch
- Logos – Atlanta 96
- Jeff Chandon – Mind Of The Surrounded
- Karima F – Random Loop From Doepfer Site
- Es-Q – Lunatic Fringe
- Laurel Halo & Hodge – Tru
- Ben Buitendijk – Contamination Zone
- Loraine James – +44 Thinking — Of — You (Hence Therefore’s Outta My Element Version)
- Deadboy – Nomos
- Violet x BLEID – toxic